Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"If you grow tired of London, you have grown tired of Life"



I read that quote somewhere and I am starting to believe it. I have had a very busy few days, sit back and let me tell you about them...






This past weekend there was an event in London called Westend Live, this took place at Leicester Square. Basically all the musicals in London put on 20mins of what they got to offer free for the public. It was a blast, as well as a great opportunity to determine just exactly shows that I might want to see...After Westend Live, I have narrowed my list to Wicked, Phatom, Spamalot, Avenue Q, Lion King, Les Mis, and some others but the list is just to long. (The Photo is an action shot of Kelly at Westend Live.)




So after an afternoon spent watching 20mins of plays, we decided to attend one that night. Wicked was the play of choice. It was outstanding, I am not theater buff, but this was entertaining and the music was very good. Two big thumbs up from me. If you have not seen the show I suggest you go.




This is a shot of my new McGeorge School of Law friends, in front of Wicked.


The next day: We wanted to see another show but came to find out that there are no shows, or very very limited shows on Sundays in London. We spent the day exploring Regents Park. It was nice, live music was playing and there was plenty to see. Walked through the Queen's Rose garden, it was a sight, Roses everywhere. I will be uploading pictures soon with examples of what I am talking about.








Now, on to the Really fun stuff. Monday was the start of arguably the biggest tennis tournament in the world, Wimbledon. We went. They have a system where you can show up and stand in line and hope to
get lucky by either getting a grounds ticket, which would entitle you to see any of the matches not taking place in the main courts, or purchase a resale ticket, which is where people who are leaving for the day drop off their ticket so it can be resold to other for $10, these seats are luck of the draw and can be anywhere. (the proceeds goto charity, so its for a good cause.) Anywho, first day we were in line or "que" for about 3 hrs. maybe a little less. When we cleared security we were shown to the ticket booth, where they just happened to have court no. 1 tickets or sale at a reduced rice, so me and another bought them thinking hey this is awesome. Well 30secs later, Center Court tickets opened up, soooo I missed out on those but had great seats none the less. I saw the match between Layton Hewitt, and Robin Haase, it went 5 sets and was really intense. The photo is from my seat, of Layton Hewitt I think #20 in the world.

We went back again today (Tues.) it was much harder to get in, but we did finally get in, and we saw Andy Roddick, The Williams Sisters (play doubles), and the #2 woman in the world play her opening round match. I will post more pictures later. Right now its 11:30pm London time, and I have to read, oh yeah I am here for class as well....

3 comments:

SSWY said...

saw Spamalot in Vegas and Phantom on Broadway. I recommend both of them. happy travels!

kos said...

I would love to go to Wimbledon someday, looks like you are having a great time.

pacing the cage said...

i love it when Hewitt yells "come on!"