Sunday, July 13, 2008

Goodbye to London, Hello Salzburg!

Dear Friends--

Let me first apologize for my absence from blog world, I am sorry it has been so long since I updated. I will look at it this way, it's better that I am busy experiencing everything that London and now Salzburg has to offer, rather than typing away on here. But I am sorry.

Finishing off London:
I finished off my London experience in true London style, I don't remember where I last left on in my stories, but I went and saw another show (Phantom of the Opera) and it was outstanding. I really enjoyed London, the sights where great and there was always so much to do/see.

The class I took while in London was on Terrorism and Public Policy, it gave a great look into what the U.S. is/has been doing to handle the threats of terrorism, and the likely responses. I took the final, hopefully I did well, but I think I spent more time exploring London than actually studying. I don't think I would trade any of my experiences to put my nose in a book longer in London. SO here's to hoping I passed!!

On To Salzburg:
I left for Salzburg on that Saturday (July 5th), it was a LOOOOOOONG day of travel. I also was hammered with luggage overages, (I was not alone, rumor has it one student had to pay $500 extra to get their bags here!). That being said, if there was ever a time that you would want some sox, plain white T's, or anything else that I hold no sentimental value for, come to Salzburg, I am having a fire sale. My goal is to not pay any overages on the way back, we will see....

Salzburg is a beautiful city, its nestled right into the Alps, and is defiantly a tourist town....For those of you who don't know where Mozart was born it was in Salzburg, and BOY they don't let you forget it. Mozart is on everything here. There is also another tourist trap, the Sound of Music was filmed here, sooooo that means Americans and other Europeans flock to Salzburg to see the sights. I have yet to see the movie, but I am going on the tour on Wed. I need to find sometime to sit down and really enjoy the Sound of Music.

It is clear that Salzburg and Austria as a whole once was a great power. Unfortunately, Napoleon, WWI, and WWII have taken a big bite of their power. The palaces and fortresses remain though and make for interesting visits.


Here are some more links to pictures:

Wimbledon:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2113369&l=da0fa&id=38203046

Last part of London:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2113364&l=d6f1a&id=38203046

Salzburg:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2114901&l=a534a&id=38203046

Vienna:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2114903&l=3cb04&id=38203046

1 comment:

pacing the cage said...

Watch your head in the salt mines. When do you get back?